Preferably London, (Remote / East Coast / EU Time Zones negotiable)
Brave is on a mission to protect the human right to privacy online. We’ve built a free web browser that blocks creepy ads and trackers by default, a private search engine with a truly independent index, a browser-native crypto wallet, and a private ad network (opt-in!) that directly rewards you for your attention. And we’re just getting started. Already 50 million people have switched to Brave for a faster, more private web. Millions more switch every month.
The internet is a sea of ads, hackers, and echo chambers. Big Tech makes huge profits off our data, and tells us what’s true and what’s not. Brave is fighting back. Join us!
We’re looking for an experienced Systems/Performance Researcher or Research Engineer to join our Research team. In this role, you’ll have the chance to investigate methods of making the Brave browser the most private, secure, and yet efficient browser out there for our growing user base of over 60m monthly active users. You will be an experienced (PhD level) Systems/Performance Researcher, focusing developing and adopting on the latest privacy/security/usability tools, yet keeping Brave lightning fast and a joy to use. The ideal candidate will be keen on practical/applied systems research in the browser space (including on-device AI), with an interest in publishing their work to advance the field. The Researcher/Research Engineer will work closely with the Research team, as well as the product teams across various product development teams, including low-level energy, memory, and functionality improvements to Brave.
The ideal candidate should have a PhD in Systems/Performance area, with experience in performance measurement, engineering, development, and optimization. They would have a deep understanding of systems (ideally including browsers on desktop/mobile), alongside a passion to work on the latest AI/Security/Privacy techniques and products.
- PhD in Computer Science, Engineering, or a related field, with an emphasis on systems research, or equivalent work experience
- At least 3 years of experience in performance/systems research, ideally within the browser space, with a focus on applied/practical research
- A demonstrated track record of research in on-device ML, including but not limited to energy, memory, or processing improvements
- Proficiency in programming languages such as:
- Swift, Kotlin, and Java, and familiarity with mobile architecture, and system-level optimization
- Experience with collaborative projects and cross-functional teams, exhibiting strong communication skills to convey research findings effectively
- The ability to write high-quality academic papers and reports
Nice to haves
- Mobile/Desktop Browser experience
- Experience with hardware performance instrumentation and measurement
- Experience with the build-cycle of large-scale software products
- Experience with Chromium, C++, iOS, Android
- Experience with on-device Machine Learning models
Working at Brave
- Industry-leader in privacy, with a research and engineering team that’s innovating everyday to keep people safer online and beat Big Tech
- Highly competitive salaries & benefits, and generous home-office stipends
- Fully remote team (no office, no commute)
- Welcoming, humble, ridiculously smart teammates, and a truly flat org structure
- Opportunity to get in early at a hyper-growth company, and revolutionize the web
United States Candidates: The salary range for this role is $120X - $170X USD, depending on experience.