Staff Software Engineer, Protocol Node
Pagoda is shepherding a future where NEAR becomes the blockchain operating system. We believe that re-inventing how software is made and distributed is our greatest opportunity to open economic access to those who are not fully integrated into the global economy. Our products empower people to find opportunity, invent new experiences, and collaborate. Let's build an Open Web world. A world where people control their assets, data, and power of governance.
We encourage people of all backgrounds to apply. Pagoda is committed to creating an inclusive culture, and we celebrate diversity of all kinds.
About The Role:
The Protocol Node team is looking for an experienced software engineer to focus on the experience of running NEAR’s blockchain client: making the client easy to run, improving its stability and performance, optimizing the resources it consumes. The work done by the Node team expands over infrastructure, client code, protocol code and release engineering, since all these components impact the experience of running the NEAR client.
You will be working with complex concurrent systems, low-level code, complicated state machines, novel algorithms and infrastructure automation. You will be expected to fully own various components or features and drive their implementation from beginning to end, including the design, the implementation, the maintenance, and the documentation. You will be surrounded by highly productive and meticulous engineers who will be holding you to the same standards.
What You'll Be Doing:
- Effectively communicate and collaborate with a globally distributed team
- Own major blockchain protocol and client features
- Lead the design and implementation of Rust components end to end
- Contribute to the team’s technical roadmap
- Facilitate cross-functional work within the organization
- Facilitate discussions and debates, consolidating different perspectives to drive decisions to execution
- Anticipate risks and uncertainties and plan mitigations for them.
- Directly impact the team by reducing complexity of architectures, implementations, and processes.
- Set the right tempo for you and the team to deliver large initiatives on time.
- End-to-end ownership of your work (design, implementation, documentation, maintenance)
- Performance tuning and optimizations
What We're Looking For:
- Ability to quickly learn and grasp complex engineering concepts; we expect you to obtain a very good understanding of the blockchain protocol
- An effective communicator and ability to remain calm under pressure and when juggling multiple priorities
- Being comfortable with diving in multiple parts of a technology stack and quickly navigate through it
- Fluency with algorithms and data structures
- Excellent coding skills
- Ability to go from design to implementation fast
- Your work is done carefully with a great attention to detail
- Experience with Rust or alternatively but less preferred C++ or Go
- Experience with concurrency or parallelism
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related field is a must
We'd Love If You Have:
- Familiarity with internals of other blockchains
- Knowledge of cryptography
- Knowledge of compilers or virtual machines
- Knowledge of networks or operating systems
- Experience debugging complex concurrent systems
Here’s What Our Interview Process Looks Like:
Depending on calendar availability, from the first stage to the final stage, we do our best to keep the entire process to under three weeks. Our interviews take place via Zoom and typically consists of the following stages:
- Internal Recruiter Call (45 minutes)
- Meet with the Hiring Manager (60 minutes)
- Technical Interviews (4 x 60 minutes)
- Pagoda Values Interview (30 to 45 minutes)
Please let us know if you require any special requirements for your interview and we’ll do our best to accommodate.
Ideal Location For This Role
This is a fully remote role, so that your timezone matches or overlaps with our leadership for this role, you’ll ideally be located in North America or Europe.
The base salary range for this role is $182,750 - $215,000. This reflects the minimum and maximum range across all US locations. This does not include bonus, incentives, or benefits.
The actual base pay is dependent upon many factors, such as: leveling, relevant skills, and work location. If you are based outside of the US, we do have other geographic considerations that may impact your final compensation. Your recruiter can share more about the compensation and benefits applicable to your preferred location during the hiring process.
Benefits & Perks
- Flexible Annual Leave / PTO with an encouraged 20 day per year minimum
- Paid Holiday Week: the last week of the year
- Paid Wellness Week: the first week of July
- $2,000 Yearly Continued Education Reimbursement
- $2,000 Home Office Setup Reimbursement
- Co-working Space Reimbursement
- Company Retreats (2022 was in Lisbon!) & Team Offsites
- Mental Health Support and access to licensed therapists through Spill, 100% paid by Pagoda
Our Values at Pagoda
Innovate and deliver—so our customers can build. We deliver new solutions for real, often urgent, customer needs. Practical over hype. We uphold our standards of excellence while balancing velocity and pragmatism.
Focus precious time and energy on what matters. We are intentional about where we aim our resources. We channel our talents to focus on the critical missions in order to make an outsized impact.
Favor ownership, agency and action. Everyone is an owner. As individuals, we are responsible and accountable for our work. We empower builders to make decisions and innovate without the burden of unnecessary roadblocks or complexity.
Work as a team of empathetic humans. We practice mutual respect, open communication, humility and collaboration. We are kind and empathetic. We are welcoming towards diversity in all forms, including differences of perspective.
Never break trust. Integrity is rare—and valuable—in this space. Reputation is hard to build and easy to break.