Network Role - Distributed Systems Software Engineer
***This role is not for direct PL employment but for our PL Network portfolio of companies. Please read below to find out more about our innovative PL Network***
About the Protocol Labs Network
The recruiting team is supporting the Protocol Labs Network (PLN) -- a community of open source teams, projects, and organizations focused on researching, developing, and deploying network protocols to improve humanity’s most influential technology, the Internet. These Web3 teams and organizations are supported by the PL Ventures team through grants and investments – think of it as a VC + crypto fund model. As this ecosystem grows, these projects invest in the network itself, and the network grows along with it, which in turn benefits and incentivizes this ongoing evolution of Web2 to Web3. PLN is made up of 450+ projects, companies, and organizations. To note, this job posting is for the community of external companies inside of the PLN and is not for direct Protocol Labs employment.
As a Distributed Systems Engineer, you may….
- Create or maintain software libraries and programs depended on by other systems and applications
- Contribute to protocol design and specification efforts
- Participate in the design and implementation of performant and resilient distributed applications
- Develop solutions to hard problems in low-trust distributed systems
- Integrate research results and demonstrations into working, scalable programs and systems
- Work alongside a cross-functional team including engineering, design, community, product, and business
- Engage and educate the community, from users to contributors
You may be a fit for this role if you have....
- BA/BS degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, related field or equivalent practical experience
- A solid understanding of distributed systems principles and applications
- Experience designing and building distributed and/or p2p software systems and applications.
- A strong technical design ability informed by broad experience across multiple domains/specialties
- Literacy with cryptographic principles and practices
- In-depth knowledge of authentication protocols and applied cryptography
- Demonstrated the ability to implement cryptographic primitives
- Knowledge of the latest attack trends, tools and the threat landscape
- Experience with 1 or more of the following: Smart Contracts, storage platforms, UNIX file systems, VMs (preferred)
- Proven track record of independently driving projects in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent communication skills on both technical and non-technical issues
- A keen awareness of teamwork, process, and patterns of successful collaboration
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience leading open source projects, and/or guiding their communities
- Security engineering and/or cryptography principles and practices
- Large-scale systems (especially networking, performance, storage, or reliability engineering)
- Experience building with decentralized building blocks such as DHTs, consensus protocols, smart contracts, blockchain, p2p networking, etc
GDPR for Job Applicants and Candidates
When you apply to a job on this site, the personal data contained in your application will be collected by Protocol Labs, Inc. (“Protocol Labs”), which is located at 427 N Tatnall St #51207, Wilmington, Delaware 19801 and can be contacted by emailing legalrequests[at]protocol.ai. Protocol Labs’ data protection team can be contacted via legalrequests[at]protocol.ai. Your personal data will be processed for the purposes of managing Protocol Labs’ recruitment related activities, which include setting up and conducting interviews and tests for applicants, evaluating and assessing the results thereto, and as is otherwise needed in the recruitment and hiring processes. Such processing is legally permissible under Art. 6(1)(f) of Regulation (EU) 2016/679 (General Data Protection Regulation) as necessary for the purposes of the legitimate interests pursued by Protocol Labs, which are the solicitation, evaluation, and selection of applicants for employment.
Your personal data will be shared with Greenhouse Software, Inc., a cloud services provider located in the United States of America and engaged by Protocol Labs to help manage its recruitment and hiring process on Protocol Labs’ behalf. Accordingly, if you are located outside of the United States, your personal data will be transferred to the United States once you submit it through this site. Because the European Union Commission has determined that United States data privacy laws do not ensure an adequate level of protection for personal data collected from EU data subjects, the transfer will be subject to appropriate additional safeguards.
Your personal data will be retained by Protocol Labs as long as Protocol Labs determines it is necessary to evaluate your application for employment or to assist in the hiring process. Under the GDPR, you have the right to request access to your personal data, to request that your personal data be rectified or erased, and to request that processing of your personal data be restricted. You also have the right to data portability. In addition, you may lodge a complaint with an EU supervisory authority.